Susan the NUBIAN QUEEN , a short story by Akwasi Tymer


Today is our last day for counseling and like I promised you the first time we entered
your office, I will now tell you that interesting story of how I met Susan. I'm all ears
Derrick, so please start says Mr Boamah.

No woman can win me with her beauty. What kind of beauty haven't I seen before?
A foolish lie I always told myself. Everything changed that Friday. It was a holiday.
My cousin Yaw Atuahene suggested in our family WhatsApp group that we all met at
the beach and have fun. An idea we all agreed to but deep down, I wished I had
somewhere else to go. They were all coming to the beach with their partners and I
was going alone. Well not alone, at least I had beer.

I knew it! once again he's alone, shouted my annoying cousin Ekua. Come here you
lonely bachelor. I miss you. I miss you more I said and we hugged. Hey you must be
very careful. I'm not alone like you people think. I came with my beer. Everybody
laughed. After some hours with the family, I decided to go for a walk. The best
decision I made in my life.

There she was with her friends. Talking, having fun and taking pictures. In that black
bikini, I saw her making pulchritudinous poses beside the trees. Her eyes, oh
heavens I could see my future in her eyes. I looked at those eyes and I felt like going
down on my knees and praying in tongues because I could swear I saw God. Her lips!
I'll publish a book about her lips one day. I could sing a million songs to worship her
beautiful dark skin. 

I said to myself, This is the most beautiful woman the world
will ever see and as a royal of this great black motherland, she must become my
Nubian Queen. Oh yes! I quickly opened my phone camera and started taking shots.
She saw me taking those shots so I wasn't surprised when she approached and said,
"Hey stranger, can I see those pictures?" Not until you tell me your name but it is only
one picture. I deleted the rest. I replied. Wow I like your confidence. The name is
Susan. I'm glad you like my confidence. I've got a lot of things I know you will like too.
Mine is Derrick by the way.. 

I mentioned my name as I showed her the pic. 
This picture is really nice. Can you send it to me? Yes I can.. 
Let me have your number I said. 
Why do you keep staring at me? She asked. Who would see you and not stare?
A 100 metres distance between you and Stevie Wonder and he will still see clearly.
Trust me you're damn beautiful. The only reason I'm not on my knees at the moment
is because I don't have a diamond ring. Sabali stranger! Sabali.. Susan said. Calm
down and let's have lunch sometime. A step at a time ok. We both smiled and I left.A year later and here we are, about to take things a step further as husband and wife. 

I still have the picture and I look at it everyday.
I must say I'm proud of you two and thanks a lot for the invite. I'll definitely be there
to witness the "You may kiss your bride" moment. The child in me can't wait to shout
"Mmuahh" a happy Mr. Boamah said.
We also want to say a big thank you. We really appreciate you a lot Mr. Boamah. We
have learnt a lot from you and we also can't wait to see you do "Mmuahh". Oh yes!
we can't wait at all Susan said as they all laughed. 

Derrick, I like the way you always smile and look at Susan anytime she speaks. Listen
son, no matter how tough the journey gets, never let that smile fade away.

Comments