Bestie. A short story by Akwasi Tymer


Beatrice realised Henry was very quiet which was very abnormal of him. Why are you acting weird this evening? What's wrong with you? Talk to me babe, I'm worried. Are you feeling sick or you're hungry or tired? I am not hungry but sick and tired? Hell yes I am! What's that supposed to mean? She asked.

Do you need a PowerPoint presentation before you know I don't like this whole bestie thing going on between you and that Roland guy? Come on babe! Roland is like a brother to me. Well like I said I don't like how you two behave. How can you be touching and flirting all in the name of bestie? Two weeks ago at his birthday party you kissed him claiming that's your gift to him. Don't you know I am a human and I have feelings? Last 3 months you asked for a new phone, I told you to give me a week to sort that out only for you to show up 2 days later with a new iPhone X Max. I asked and you said Roland your bestie gave you that.

Do you need more reasons to know why I don't like how you two behave? Henry please let's not fight about this again. I hate it when you bring up this whole Roland thing. He is my bestie and that's it. I can't even stay here with you being all moody and all that. I'm leaving! You know where to find me when you calm down, nonsense. Why am I not surprised? There you go again playing the angry card just because I told you something I'm not ok with, Henry said. (Beatrice walks out shouting)

(Henry goes out for a walk and meets Papa Yaw) Sup bruv? You look stressed. Let's go play some FIFA so I score you and redeem myself or let's get some drinks at the new pub near the taxi station. Sure bruv, drinks at the pub will be cool. As for the FIFA you know even if I'm blind, I'll score you. (At the pub after some drinks)

Henry: Yaw make I ask you something. Your woman, or make I say your women cos you get plenty of them. Them get besties?

Papa Yaw : Yeah some get but them all be female besties. Them sef ano dey trust them bro. Male bestie deɛ chale you go see noor then pant dey shift ooo. You sef why you dey ask?

Henry : my shordy Beatrice and that Roland guy. I don't like how they relate at all bro. You saw them at that party right?

Papa Yaw : No be that party alone sef bruv. Adey blame you. You be too holy for that girl chale. You need more chicks to get experience. That girl be high maintenance girl ooo wey Roro too be one bad man. (Yaw pauses for a while)

Henry : Why you shun dey talk?

Papa Yaw : whatyou go do rydee if you see them making love?

Henry : chale abi then ago die ooo

Papa Yaw : you go what? Make I order for your coffin then bruv because when you turn around you'll see your girl and Roro kissing at that junction. Henry turns and sees exactly that. Tears start dropping.

Henry : Damn bro, what should I do now?

Papa Yaw : What should you do? I don't know what you guys will talk about later. Whether to settle your differences or not but never forget that, Bestie bestie then pants dey shift.


Comments