Alligator- say no to drug abuse (by Akwasi Tymer)


The youth in the town were abusing this new drug in addition to the ones they use already. Chris was late to the party since he was yet to try it. Don't do it Chris. His friend Kojo said. Don't listen to him. He's jealous. Try it and see all your pains go away. You'll be very happy. I call this drug "Alligator" Yaw said. Give me the thing and stop talking plenty. I'll even need more. Chris said as they both laughed.

An hour after taking the drug he passes out....

You're wrong Chris! You can't always be right. What makes you think surrendering to the robbers is a good idea huh? Always acting tough but you refuse to use your brains. Think for once big brother! Think! Why did I even follow you? I promised Grandma that I'll enter the new year with no trouble but here I am on 31st December about to say my last prayers before I die, thanks to you. Last days are truly dangerous they always say.

 Enough Joe! I swear when we get out of this situation, the first thing I'll do is beat the hell out of you. Can't you just stop the blame game and propose a better idea if you have any? What do armed robbers do? Tell me! They need our money and phones so why don't we surrender and give them what they want? The earlier the better little brother. We can't be on this mango tree with weak branches. This tree is weak and we will get hurt landing on the ground before they even start to beat us or kill us with those weapons.

The two brothers argued on what to do to get rid of the robbers till they got tired. I'm thirsty, Joe said. What do you want me to do? Perform a miracle for the rains to fall? Chris asked. It's okay please. Don't make things worse for me with your annoying answers. Chris' prophetic words came true as the tree branch broke and they both landed on the ground. Before they could stand on their feets and run, the robbers surrounded them with weapons.

My name is Alligator and I'm the leader of this gang. Now tell me, are we killing you first? Or your brother?.. Kill? Please we can't fight you guys so just take our money and phones and let us go. Before he could say anything else the leader of the gang slapped him.

Wake up bro. Chris!!! Wake up, Joe said as he slapped his big brother who was in the living room sleeping. Chris quickly stood up shouting "please we beg". You and who beg? Joe asked? Were you having a bad dream? Yes I was, foolish boy and did you have to slap me to wake me up? Sorry but I was tired shouting your name. Joe said. There is a guy outside looking for you. He says his name is Alligator. What? Alligator?

Chris screamed as he woke up in a hospital. Welcome back to life gentleman, my name is Doctor Alligator and a taxi driver brought you here. Taxi driver? and where is my brother Joe? I was with him a while ago after he slapped me.. What did you say your name was again? I need to get out of here. Chris ran outside the hospital and quickly found himself in a church building. Welcome my son, are you here to talk to the Lord? My name is pastor Alligator.

No I can't take this no more. He finally gets up and realizes he has been shouting, hearing and seeing weird stuffs.. What is happening to me Kojo? Am I going mad? Please help me.

 I told you not to take it. Kojo said. This drug is very dangerous and as a medical student and a son of a policeman and a doctor, you should know better. I'm sorry for not listening to you earlier. He told me it will take away my pains and make me happy. From what I just experienced, it is all a big lie. We have to start a campaign to help stop this. Many people like us are dying on the streets because of these drugs. Most people think they can face their problems with these drugs getting them high and all that. No matter what a person is going through, drug abuse shouldn't be an answer. We can talk to my parents for their help. It won't be easy to get these drugs of the street and also educate people and offer help to everyone but at least we can start from somewhere. #SayNoToDrugAbuse

Comments