THE PROPOSAL (a short story by Akwasi Tymer)


It was another Wednesday morning. Abiba woke up and quickly got ready for work. She was on morning shift for the rest of the week. Looking pretty in her uniform, she picked a taxi on her junction and like she does everyday in the car, she decided to check her phone for messages, missed calls and notifications on her social media pages.

 It's over between us! That was the text she got from her boyfriend via Facebook Messenger. Abiba laughed out loud when she saw that message because she obviously read that as a joke knowing how crazy and funny Kweku, her boyfriend can be sometimes. Eiii Maame nurse, what is making you laugh so hard this morning? A funny clip sent on WhatsApp? The taxi driver asked. This is even more than a funny clip ooo konkonsa driver, she replied.

 Hahahaha my name is Tony. I'm a part-time teacher and please if you don't mind I would like to hear the joke and laugh too. Abiba laughs and shows the message to the driver. Is that a message from your boyfriend? Tony asked. What makes this a joke? Or is it a game you play often? Well, we do play with these silly jokes sometimes. Eiii saaa? I think I'm interested in your reply Tony said.

Abiba replied the message with "hey big head is that a new way of saying good morning?" No please and I am serious It's over between us Kweku replied. I'm in love with someone else and I hope you also find love soon. I don't want to believe this but even if this is true, you're breaking up with me through a text via Facebook Messenger? Kweku really??? She asked.

 Yes! What do you expect? That I come to your house and tell you or come to your work place? Call you on phone or shout through a megaphone? We met on Facebook so it's only cool we end it here. Wow! Just wow! She replied as tears dropped.

Tony parked the car and asked, Maame nurse please what's wrong? Hmmm he wasn't kidding. He really meant those words. I love him very much and haven't done anything wrong to him. Why will he break up with me? Where did I go wrong? She cried and said, "being in love is indeed a rollercoaster." Please stop crying because we are just 100 metres away from the hospital. You can't go to work in this state you know, Tony said, as he tried to calm her down.

Ok we are here now and please like I said, don't enter the ward with this mood. You have patients to attend to. Tony said and Abiba smiled and replied, I am a patient too at the moment. Thanks for your kind words Mr Tony, please here is your money and keep the change. Nice one! Going to the Kenkey joint sharp sharp. Thank you ooo maame nurse. I'll make sure to pick you up from that junction everyday. Tony said as they both laugh.


Before he could move his taxi, an ambulance crossed and parked right in front and two guys came out shouting "Help help please, he's dying". Abiba being a nurse ran to help and Tony decided to join. The two guys quickly brought out their cameras to video a surprised Abiba who opens the door only to see her boyfriend Kweku with an engagement ring. Tony realised what was going on so he called people around to come witness too. Kweku came out of the Ambulance, knelt before his sweetheart. He laughed and said, "sorry for that text but hey you know how crazy I am. A simple question my love, Will you marry me?

No I won't. She replied. A hurt Kweku asked why? As crazy as I am too, I will only accept your proposal if it's via inbox on Facebook since that's where we met. Abiba said and laughed. They all laugh and Kweku quickly does that by sending a text. Abiba replies with “YES " as she shouts for everyone to hear. They kiss and hug. Everybody claps and congratulates them. Tony went closer to them and said, congrats to you two and all I can say is with the ups and downs, LOVE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING.


Comments

Post a Comment